This course is ideal for learners who have a keen interest in the public services sector or wish to start a career in areas such as the RAF, Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Police, Prison or Fire Service. Students will develop communication skills used in leadership and teamwork, learn more about uniformed services and understand and develop practical skills such as land navigation; as well as study crime and its effects on society.
Within this course learners will get the opportunity to go on trips, previously students have been on residential trips to Army camps.
You could complement your studies with enrichment activities including First Aid, Duke of Edinburgh, Law society or Sports Leader Award.
The Units are:
Government Policies and the Public Services: This enables the learner to understand the different levels of UK government
- Leadership and Team work in the Public Services: This develops communication skills used in leadership and teamwork
- Citizenship, Diversity and the Public Services:
- Land Navigation with map and compass: This involves understanding how to use map and compass to undertake a low level hill walk
- Outdoor & Adventurous Expeditions: This involves planning and undertaking two 2-day expeditions
Understanding Discipline in the Uniformed Public Services
- Exercise, Health & lifestyle: Assessing the health & well-being of an individual, providing advice on lifestyle improvement
- Crime & its Effect on Society: Looks at crime and disorder legislation, sentences and orders
- Understand the Impact of War, Conflict and Terrorism on Public Services: This unit looks at the effects of war, conflict and terrorism on the UK
- Career Planning for the Public services: The application and selection process when pursuing a career in the public services
- Current & Media Affairs in Public Services: Learning about the role of the media and how it is regulated
GCSE Grade 4 in English and a creative subject with an average points score of 3.2 or above.
Would like to progress in careers such as RAF, Royal Nay, Royal Marines, Police, Prison or Fire Service. Or would like to progress onto Higher Education in Social Sciences, Criminology, Politics or Law related fields.